- Each disc capable of retaining 6.7 litres of liquid
- Designed to be loaded into a standard 500mm diameter drum
- Very stable long term storage (500 years +)
- Loading hooks can be added as required
- Disposal of Zinc Bromide
- Disposal of low level radioactive waste liquids
- Tritiated water storage
Bentonite Absorber Discs
© Smith Engineering GB Ltd 2011
Tel: +44 (0) 1900 815831 | Fax: +44 (0) 1900 815553 | Email: email@example.com
Solway Industrial Estate, Maryport, Cumbria, CA15 8NF
Vat No: 330471196 | Registered in England & Wales
Briefly, the operation of the discs are as follows:
- Whilst dry the Aborber Disc material is packed with microscopic voids, each of those microscopic voids contain a dehydrated
particle of bentonite.
- When a liquid comes into contact with the Absorber Disc, the bentonite actively absorbs the liquid deep inside the material and
the now hydrated bentonite particle swells to fill the void.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed by the bentonite into the Absorber Disc, it becomes stable and will not leak or leach out of
the disc. The waste liquid is then encapsulated within the Absorber Disc for a period of at least 500 years in a stable condition.
Diameter: 525 mm
Height: 70 mm
Dry weight: 8.8 Kg
Wet weight: 15.5 Kg
Retained liquid: 6.7 litre minimum
Delivery: Palletized packs of 25 discs each
Cementitious Absorber discs for absorbing low level
active liquid & Zinc Bromide, before encapsulation.
Absorber discs have been developed & manufactered by Smith
Engineering at the absorbant block plant within the Maryport
facility for over 5 years.
The discs have been developed for the specific task of providing
a stable absorbant medium within drums of Zinc Bromide liquid
The stable long term storage nature of Bentonite Absorber Discs
make them the only suitable product for this task in the world.